Wednesday, January 20, 2010

An art treasure to do, and thrifty and vintage finds.


Here is a project for you.
Very little expense, and an hour or so to make.

Here are your supplies

music, picture, lace, glues, paint or ink,
saying printed off computer.
Oh, a mat, or cardboard, your choice in size.

This one is done on a mat.

use glue stick to cover one side of mat.
Lay it on music, and rub with hand to flatten.

Cut music about 1" larger on each side than mat.
Cut corners at an angle as shown.
Poke a hole on inside music paper
and cut to each corner from center.
Cut off extra on inside leaving about 1" to fold over.


Fold music over edge and crease each piece before gluing.
role glue stick down mat one side at a time,
fold paper over and glue down.
(always make sure you press it down good).
Go to next side.
After all edges are glued down, dry brush,
or ink all edges with black or brown.
~~~~~~~~~
Adding the picture


You want to put the back on before you trim the front.
Otherwise you have an uneven surface to try to work on.
Take your picutre you have chosen,
and glue it to a piece of cardboard 1/2" smaller than the mat.

Glue this piece with the picture on it to the back side of the mat,
with picutre facing through hole.
Be sure to smooth it down good to make sure it sticks.
I then glue a dictionary page on the back to finish it.


Turn your piece over and begin to trim it how you would like.
I added some lace to the corner,
and a piece across the bottom of the girl
(thus filling the gap where the pic was too short for the mat.) =0)

I glued my saying on,
some tea bag roses I made.
This one is not quite finished. I will
be adding butterflies, and some buttons yet.

If you want a hanger, use ribbon or narrow
lace and know and glue at corners.
(see above where you glued that back on)
I like to do it on the back cause then there is a choice to hang it
or sit it on an easel and the hanger does not show.
You can see some other ideas here.

And don't forget the giveaway HERE

And come back Friday for how to's on making a baby shoe look vintage.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, here are my Thrifty and Vintage Treasures

Some thrifty shutters for $1.00
picture frame $3.00 (going to jazz this one up!)
And my Vintage Treasure is this old plastic cake cover.

Thanks for coming by.
Please visit all these great blogs for more treasures.


100 ideas

Beyond The Picket Fence

Free Signature Generator

Free Signature Generator

19 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Barbara Jean, great post...what a sweet little picture you made.

Now you have some great vintage things today..but that CAKE COVER...Oh my stars what a find! I wish I could find one like that....it is so pretty! And I do remember them from way back..someone had one like it, but I can not remember who....great post! Happy VTT!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Great tutorial on the picture! So lovely.

And there you go taunting me with vintage must haves again. Fun taunting I might add. :)

Donna

Roseny Crisp said...

Muito obrigada Bárbara voce é um amor!

Abraços.

Roseny


P.S (vou tentar apresentar-lhe mais tarde)

.¸¸♥♥.¸¸♥♥.¸¸♥♥

Thank you Barbara is a love!

Hugs.

Roseny


P.S (I'll try to submit later)

.¸¸♥♥.¸¸♥♥.¸¸♥♥

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Good morning Barbara Jean! Love your post today;. I love those thrifty treasures...I absolutely love shutters, and then that plastic cake cover is a real find. Wow. Love your project too. It is soooo cute. You really are talented. I love your blog and how beautifully you have decorated it. But I'm a softie for roses and all things shabby. Just beautiful! Have a blessed day!
Debbie

The Feathered Nest said...

This it so beautiful to me Barb!!! I've always loved that image too ~ I hope you are doing great sweet friend, hugs and love, Dawn

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Barbara Jean! Nice to meet you today! I am visiting you via Jana's Collected Treasures blog event! I LOVE your beautiful frame, and would LOVE to try this someday soon! I have just the perfect picture to put in it whenever I can find time to! Thanks for sharing this today, and I look forward to visiting again soon! ~tina

Janean said...

so neat! your other vintage finds look wonderful....and that baby shoe is adorable. can't wait to see your talent unleashed upon it!

ClassyChassy said...

Great project today - turned out nicely!!! Looks like a 'must make', to me!!! Have a great day!

Vicki said...

Oh, Barbara Jean,
I adore that vintage wall hanging you have created! The vintage image of the little girl is wonderful! Thank you for sharing instructions, too. Have a happy rest of the week and terrific weekend! Vicki

Unknown said...

Great finds! I love your charming picture frame! It came out great! I'm crazy over those shutters and the baby shoe is too precious!

Cheers!
Tina

Sue McPeak said...

Great Tutorial! My MIL had that same Cake Cover, and now it is mine. She used it alot as she was a great cake maker. I'm not, so it is more for decoration and the occasional cake! Nice post!

★Carol★ said...

I love anything with sheet music, so of course I think that picture is gorgeous! And I was hoping that you were going to share how to antique that baby shoe! Love the cake saver too. Simple yet oh so elegant!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Denise Marie said...

that plastic cake taker is pretty cool.

Amanda Lee said...

Ohhh, this is so pretty! Thanks for the tutorial!

Roslyn said...

I remember those cake covers! But your tea bag roses.....?

KK said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I haven't made much since before Christmas. I think its time. This is perfect. I'm lovin the sheet music. oh and the cake cover is fabulous.

Free Pretty Things For You said...

hello!
thank you for stopping by and checking on me! :)
Im doing wonderful thank you!
i see your doing well and making pretty things! Love it! :)
God Bless you!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

thanks for the tutorial and pretty end result! and i love all your vintage finds! just lovely.. thanks for sharing.. happy vtt

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

These are beautiful and what a great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing them on my linky party.